Permanent Stay Permit for Foreigners in Indonesia – Before applying for a work permit or stay permit, you need to pay attention to the procedures of each permit as some foreigners are confused between the KITAS (Limited Work and Stay Permit) and KITAP (Permanent Stay Permit) in Indonesia. Some of them are thinking if they can directly apply for a 5-year work/stay permit without knowing what it is.
Based on Immigration regulation, KITAP is valid for 5 years and can be renewed as long as the permit is not canceled. The holders can obtain the KITAP by converting the KITAS and already renew it for 3 years in a row. Only several KITAS holders who can convert it such as:
- Investor/shareholder in the company
- Spouse of the Indonesian with minimum marriage of 2 years
- Foreigner ex-Indonesian and ex-Affidavit Indonesian children
- Family because of the mixed-marriage
The KITAP can be obtained directly without converting the KITAS for:
- Ex-Indonesian affidavit who preferred a foreign citizen
- A child who is born in Indonesia from an KITAP holder foreigner
- Indonesian who lost citizenship in Indonesia
These people don’t need to pay a DPKK anymore as they are the KITAS holders who are eligible to stay in Indonesia without paying any Expertise and Skills Development Fund to the Government. So, do not get mixed up by the plan of getting the 5-year stay permit directly except you are one of the mentioned eligible people.
You can also check how to get the KITAS in this article “How to Live Legally in Indonesia as Foreigners?”