How Important Halal Certification in Indonesia? – The majority of Indonesian people are Moslem. Therefore, it is very important for business people to have and know how to get halal certification. This halal claim itself is not only specific to food and beverage products. Businesses operating in the fields of cosmetics and medicines are also required to have halal certification.
Thus, if you are planning to open a business or are already running a business but don’t yet have a halal certificate, then it’s a good idea to immediately apply for the certificate. If the customer is comfortable using the product it will certainly build a positive image for the company.
Why is it important for businesses to know how to get halal certification?
As mentioned previously, the majority of the population in Indonesia is Muslim. Thus, many people tend to own or use products that have a halal label. Halal Certificate is a guarantee of the halalness of products traded or circulating in Indonesia.
The government has also implemented halal certification obligations stipulated in Law no. 33 of 2014 concerning Halal Product Guarantee (JPH), the Job Creation Law, and also Government Regulation no. 39 of 2021 concerning Implementation of Halal Product Guarantees.
By getting a Halal Certificate, consumers and companies will benefit together. The customer feels safe and comfortable consuming or using the products and the level of consumer trust will increase in the company. If a product has a halal label, the quality guarantee provided will have a positive impact on the company.
Generally, the presence of a halal logo on a product is the main reference before deciding whether to buy the item or not.
Halal certificate function
Apart from gaining consumer trust, here are several other functions of having a halal certificate for business products.
- Have competitive advantages, especially over competitors who have not yet carried out halal certification.
- Becomes legal proof of a product or service if the goods or services provided are in accordance with the recommendations and Islamic law. This includes the procurement of raw materials to the manufacturing process.
- The presence of a halal logo also prevents businesses and products from being accused without any basis.
- The customers will find it easier to make decisions that are likely to lead to purchasing your product.
- Standards for the manufacture of food, drinks, medicines and cosmetics are guaranteed to be implemented in accordance with Islamic law.
- Companies will find it easier to reach a larger consumer demographic, especially the Muslim demographic.
- Companies that have received halal certification from the MUI have contributed to assisting the government and religious organizations in monitoring and guaranteeing the products and services provided to the public.
- Companies that have an official halal certificate can place a halal label on every product package they market.
Requirements for halal certificate
Before knowing how to get halal certification, every company should fulfill the following requirements.
Legal document of the company
In the process of issuing halal certification, BPJPH (Halal Product Guarantee Organizing Agency) requires data from the company. This data consists of NIB (Business Identification Number) and has at least one person in charge to supervise in relation to the Halal Certificate.
However, if you don’t have an NIB, you can prove it with other data such as NPWP (Taxpayer Identification Number), NKV (Veterinary Control Number), IUMK (Micro and Small Business Permit) or IUI (Industrial Business Permit).
Product name and type
The company is required to have the name and type of product in accordance with the name and type of product to be certified halal.
List of products, ingredients and processing
All types of raw materials and processing must also be attached to fulfill halal certification requirements. The company also needs to attach product processing processes which consist of purchasing, receiving, storing materials, processing, packaging, product storage and product distribution.
The materials used by the product must also be halal, whether raw materials, additional or complementary materials, or primary packaging materials.
Apart from that, the company should be able to guarantee that products are not contaminated by haram or dirty (unclean) materials in the production process or facilities.
Halal guarantee system document
Every business actor must have a halal guarantee system document. This is important to do in maintaining the continuity of the halal production process.
Flow to obtain halal certification
Even though registering a Halal Certificate has quite a long process, basically the process and method of getting it from MUI is not difficult. The following are several series of stages on how to get halal certification.
- Apply for a certificate online on the ptsp.halal.go.id page.
- BPJPH will check the completeness of the application data that has been submitted. If the documents are complete, BPJPH will immediately send the documents to the Halal Inspection Agency for the document checking process and calculation of product halal inspection fees.
- Generally, the process of calculating product halal inspection fees has a maximum duration of two working days. However, if the documents are not appropriate, the LPH (Halal Inspection Agency) will ask you to correct the completeness of the documents first.
- You can see the calculation of product halal inspection costs according to the unit cost times the mandays set by BPJPH. The provisions for product halal inspection costs are not included in the costs of product halal testing through accredited laboratories, and are not included in accommodation and transportation costs in accordance with the provisions of the applicable law.
- After that, BPJH will issue payment bills to business or business owners.
- Next, business actors are required to make bill payments followed by uploading proof of payment within a maximum period of around 10 working days from when the bill was first given.
- If the business actor does not make payment according to the specified deadline, the application will be cancelled.
- If you have sent proof of payment, BPJPH will verify it. If it is appropriate, BPJPH will immediately issue a document receipt letter as a basis for assigning LPH to carry out product halal testing.
- The time required for product inspection and testing is around 15 working days.
- Next, LPH will submit a report on the results of inspection and halal testing of a product through the MUI (Indonesian Ulema Council) by uploading documents via the SiHalal application.
- Then, the MUI will hold a halal fatwa trial and then submit the results of the halal decision by uploading the relevant documents to the SiHalal application.
- BPJPH will immediately issue halal certificates and business actors can also download digital halal certificates via the SiHalal application.
If you have difficulty or ignorance in the process of registering a halal certificate in Indonesia, the procedures and legal basis applicable in Indonesia.
We are Indoservice, a company secretarial and licensing services consulting company that can assist you in processing the registration of your company’s resturant or beauty cosmetic products in Indonesia, trusted and experienced and committed to providing the best and fast service to meet your needs, don’t hesitate to contact us immediately to get service consultation, offers and the best from us. Telp. +62877-1449-8500 and e-Mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org